In today's economy, homeowners are looking for a way to increase the value of their houses in a unique and cost-effective way. According to HGTV, the popular home and garden cable television station, water features are currently among the hottest landscaping trends in the United States, offering a way to increase a home's resell value and providing a creative outlet for homeowners. Whether you are looking to create a lush outdoor paradise, complete with waterfalls and fish-filled ponds, or you simply want a conservative balcony fountain, this book can show you how to build your own backyard escape -- no matter your budget.
According to the Atlanta-based National Pond Society, there are approximately nine million pond hobbyists in the United States today. Water features provide a calm oasis for homeowners to visit after a hectic day. Many new in-ground swimming pools are designed around a waterfall or fountain, and homeowners are adding these features to older pools. If building a pool is beyond your budget, consider adding a small stand-alone fountain to partake in this trend. The Complete Guide to Building Backyard Ponds, Fountains, and Waterfalls for Homeowners provides step-by-step instructions and design plans for building a variety of water features.
This book provides you with a brief history of how water features have been used in the architecture of past civilizations and how you can assess your design preferences based on these styles. The book will show you how to appraise the size, shape, and topography of your yard to decide which features will work best in your space. You will be questioned on how you intend to use your yard on a regular basis so that you can pick a feature that works with your lifestyle. Once you have assessed your style and space, you will be given a variety of design plans for various basic and complex water features, complete with step-by-step instructions, dimensions, and supply lists. You will learn about pumps, filters, and supplying electricity to your water feature, including safety standards for working with electricity and water. You will learn which tasks you are capable of completing yourself and when you should call a licensed professional. Once you have installed your water feature, you will be given advice on adding those special touches to your landscaping project. Tips for adding rock structures, plants, and fish to your water features help complete the project. Finally, you will learn how to care and maintain your water feature to keep your backyard looking beautiful.
We have spent hundreds of hours interviewing landscaping artists and homeowners just like you who can offer tips and tricks for completing your backyard makeover. Whether you are looking to increase the value of your home or just want to find your own little piece of paradise, this book can help you build a backyard oasis that you can enjoy for many years to come.
- Table of Contents(p.navPoint-6)
- Chapter 1: Designing an Oasis(p.navPoint-8)
- Chapter 2: Breaking Ground on the Basics(p.navPoint-9)
- Chapter 3: Backyard Ponds(p.navPoint-10)
- Chapter 4: Fountains(p.navPoint-11)
- Chapter 5: Waterfalls(p.navPoint-12)
- Chapter 6: An Introduction to Water Gardening(p.navPoint-13)
- Chapter 7: Swimming Under the Surface(p.navPoint-14)
- Chapter 8: Light It Up(p.navPoint-15)
- Chapter 9: Care and Maintenance(p.navPoint-16)
- Chapter 10: Happily Ever After(p.navPoint-17)
- Conclusion: Life as a Pond Keeper(p.navPoint-18)
- Appendix A: Pond Plants(p.navPoint-19)
- Appendix B: Pond Fish(p.navPoint-20)
- Appendix C: Sample Pond Design Courtesy of Drs. Foster and Smith Aquatics(p.navPoint-21)
- About the Author(p.navPoint-23)
- Picturesque Ponds(p.navPoint-24)